Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ike got us!

Well, Hurricane Ike got us on Friday. It went straight in to Galveston and we are due east 90 miles from there. The worst side to be on. Ike did very little wind damage, unlike Rita in '05. The worst part, was the water surge. We had 2 feet of ocean come in our home and 90% of our town had water in their home. It's a very sad time for many families and we ask for you to please pray for our town, Bridge City.

Monday we were able to return from 9-6 and we started cleaning out. Today we ripped up flooring. I had 3 dead fish in my yard and the smell of the salt water and mud (marsh) is horrible...to say the least. Fortunately we didn't loose much. We evacuated and were safe during the storm. We lost all our furniture and very little clothing. We're living out of suit cases. I never realized how much I depended on furniture!

Some families lost their whole house and some families just 6 houses down the road had about 5 feet. If you have that much water, everything is ruined. We are so blessed to have our house that never sold and we know the Lord had it in his plans. We still have no electricity so we are running off of a generator for now. We are told within a month we will have power. I've went through a lot of emotions the last few days because the people I love the most were affected. My parents had 3 feet of water, my sister and brother-in-law, 1 foot, and my step-son had 5 feet. We're working hard on starting over, moving and getting our house cleaned up for insurance. We ask for your prayers over our safety as we work to transition and our health as we are working "over time."

Robert and I have to return to work soon, way too soon, so we have a lot to do. I'm thinking about taking another week off, so I can just mentally get back together. I really am blessed! I'll post pictures soon of some of the destruction in our town.

2 comments:

Heather Brandt said...

I'm praying for you! I'd been wondering if you'd had significant storm damage.

Take care,

Heather
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com

Anthony and Kari said...

Dear Carey and Robert, we are so sorry to hear the news. We love you and will be praying for you both to get over the stress soon as you strive to continue with the daily activities in your lives.

God bless you and family at this hard time.

Love and prayers,
Tony, Kari and Nolan